[Linux-aus] Re: DMCA on slashdot

Kelly Daly kelly.daly at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 12:03:01 UTC 2006

Hi Mark,

This argument isn't just about the media.  These have been chosen as an
example of what *most* people would understand due to the populatrity of
dvds, cds, ipods, etc - what we like to do for our own entertainment...  To
go into everything it may or may not effect in their daily lives will be too
much.

Take a look at the following before making the blanket statement that
nothing has happened.
http://www.eff.org/IP/DMCA/unintended_consequences.php

This is stuff that HAS happened.  These are REAL cases.  It has happened
where the DMCA has already been introduced - having said that, the USA also
have fair use laws to protect them from a large extent of it.  We don't.
That is the scary bit.  It's also the bit where people go "oh, there's too
many pages of that to read, so I won't bother".  To go into the detail would
mean that most people would never know anything about it, which is why we
target what they do know and what they don't want to lose.  A
teensie-weensie portion of the problem.

The people who have had something to say on this mailing list are passionate
for a reason - not just because it's cool to get involved or to panic for
panics sake.

Cheers,
Kelly

kelly at somewoman.com