[Linux-aus] Coverage of Hobart and Melbourne LCA bids

Jonathan Oxer jon at ivt.com.au
Mon Jul 10 14:07:03 UTC 2006

Hi LA,

I just thought I'd jump on this quickly and explain the quote before
people think my statement about the Hobart bid may be unfair:

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;631795717;fp;16;fpid;0

The quote makes it sound like I'm down on the Hobart bid because it
might result in a smaller conference than Melbourne. I'm not, and didn't
intend for it to come across that way. The question I was asked was
whether running LCA in Tasmania could lower attendee numbers. I
responded saying that the overall size might end up being smaller
because there's a smaller local FOSS community to draw on, but that
Tasmania as a travel destination could be a big drawcard for people
coming from overseas and elsewhere in Australia.

I'm stoked by the bids submitted by both Hobart and Melbourne. I
seriously wish they could both win, they've both done a fantastic job
and I didn't intend to convey any favoritism by those comments.

That said, what about comments from the LA membership? The Committee
would love to hear your feedback on the bids: committee at linux.org.au.

Cheers   :-)

Jonathan Oxer