[Linux-aus] bigpond now uses proxy servers to spy on 'us'

James Polley zhasper at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 10:20:02 UTC 2006

Senectus is correct.

You can get information about Akamai's services at
http://www.akamai.com/en/html/services/overview.html. Basically, they put
proxies in major datacenters/major ISP hubs around the world, and cache
their customers sites there - so that, for instance, when a Telstra customer
visits the site of an Akamai customer, the page is served off a Telstra
server directly on Telstra's backbone, ensuring very fast response times for
the user.

There's nothing malicious about this at all. This is not something Telstra
have done, it's something the sites you mentioned (cnn.com et al) have paid
large some of money to have done, so that you get a better service.

On 7/4/06, Senectus . <senectus at gmail.com> wrote:

> As far as I can tell, akamai technologies are an Internet
> caching/streaming media delivery service that seem to be very popular
> around the world.
> They seem to have a very googlish philosophy about how they build
> their hardware, with lots of common sense redundancies and smart
> designs, and they're so good at it they're world wide.
>
> seems innocent enough to me.
>

> --
> www.modmeup.net
> Ubuntu Dapper 6.06
> The less you know, the more you believe. - Bono

There is nothing more worthy of contempt than a man who quotes himself -
Zhasper, 2004