[Linux-aus] Help

Pia Waugh greebo at pipka.org
Sat Jul 1 15:05:02 UTC 2006

Hi Aslam,

<quote who="Aslam">

> I would like to install linux on my P4 for learning all about Linux. I am
> studying my IT degree at Griffith uni (QLD). Could you please advice me
> what is good for me being a student, and where can I buy/download the
> stuff. (I do not have DVD yet on my PC.)

I usually recommend people starting with Linux try a couple of versions to
see which feels best for them and to see some of the variety. I often
recommend new Linux users try Ubuntu, Fedora and Suse, and Mandriva is also
a nice one to try. You can google each of these and download them easily
enough. You should check out distrowatch.org which gives you the news on
many of the distros and you can follow which ones ar most popular as well as
find out information about them and where to get copies.

Cheers,
Pia

--
Linux Australia                                         http://linux.org.au/

   "He who loves the world as his body may be entrusted with the empire."
                                 - Lao-tzu