[Linux-aus] FOSS Accounting (was: Nomination for Ordinary Committee Members)

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Fri Jan 6 09:53:02 UTC 2006

Just after LCA05, I was reading up on various people's biogs to better place
them within the community, and I can remember coming across someone's (it
could even have been a speaker at LCA05) who was busy converting Quicken to
Linux. Apart from a few sticking points with file handling, etc, he was
confident that it would be functional by this time.

I'll go back and try to find out exactly who, but my (very vague)
recollection was that the person in question was writing it solely to get
his accounting area off windows, and thus be able to declare themselves MS
free, and not have any intent to release it as F/OSS. I could entirely be
wrong on that account, but once I can remember who it was, I'll reply again
with more information.

Or, if you want to try GnuCash (gnucash.org), by all means, please let me
know how that goes, my wife's machine is bound to windows purely for
Quicken. GnuCash will support migration from Quicken, and even offers
calendar based reminders.

Other options from linux.com
(http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=05/10/31/1653227) are;

MoneyDance (Mac/Win/Lin) (Closed licence)
jGnash
KMyMoney

Steve Walsh
Hosting Administrator