[Linux-aus] Nomination for Ordinary Committee Members

Leon Brooks leon-linuxaus at cyberknights.com.au
Fri Jan 6 08:59:02 UTC 2006

On Friday 06 January 2006 00:26, David Lloyd wrote:
> I know a salesperson who can sell the biggest pile of crap, but it
> still sells...

I know salesmen who can spend 30 minutes telling you why _this_
ballpoint pen (and no other) is the best one in the whole world for you
to buy, and buy right _now_, not tomorrow, without repeating
themselves.

They usually spend about 15 seconds examining the pen before they start.

The moral of the story is: don't trust salesmen for quality control.

People wouldn't buy a new $40,000 car without kicking some tyres and
checking different brands, but they happily buy $120,000 worth of new
servers and software without having an effing clue what the
alternatives actually are (or even, in some cases, that there _are_
alternatives). The only effective answer that I've seen is to set about
pre-emptively informing them, and that's a long, hard row to hoe.

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia