[Linux-aus] LCA: bringing the process forward (the whole message this time!)
linux-aus at studio442.com.au
Thu Feb 16 15:03:02 UTC 2006
On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 02:51:15PM +1100, Julien Goodwin arranged a set of bits into the following:
> The views of someone whose been heavily involved with the Melbourne bid.
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 03:39:58PM +1100, Jonathan Oxer arranged a set of bits into the following:
> > * 12 months is no longer enough time to organise an LCA.
> Maybe, we need 12 months notice to book the venue (as will most people)
> > * 7 months is plenty of time to organise an LCA.
> Nope, sorry.
> > * The requirements of a pitch aren't defined well enough.
> > * The requirements are deliberately vague to test your ability.
> I'd say it's a bit of both, but I can certainly say that from the
> Melbourne ranks there were a lot of irritated people when they found
> out how much stuff the Sydney bid were able to get out of LA that we
> either were told we couldn't get or weren't offered.
> There was also the fact that Sydney must have been told they won at
> least several days before Melbourne were told they haden't won. This
> also really irritated people.
I'd like to publiclly retract this statement, I've had some private
replies from LA people indicating that we had a communications breakdown
on our end WRT this.
> > * It's better for delegates to know further in advance for planning leave.
> > * More than 12 months notice will decrease attendance at prior event.
> I'd say announcing at the previous LCA works well. If you can't get
> leave 12 months in advance where are you working!
> > As you can see it's pretty much impossible to make everyone happy!
> > What I want to do though is try bringing the whole process forward to
> > see what happens. There are a number of teams who began to get up to
> > speed for a 2007 pitch and it would be great to keep that momentum
> > going rather than putting them all on hold for another 12 months. I'd
> > like to see pitches for LCA2008 being seriously discussed around the
> > middle of the year with a decision made well before LCA2007, even if
> > it's not announced until LCA2007.
> > So if you've been thinking about pitching for LCA, the time to get onto it
> > is *now*. And if you have specific suggestions about the selection process
> > please make yourself heard.
> Give us a pitch date. All we want to know is when you'll make the
> decision, we have people in Melbourne requesting as early as June,
> myself I'd like to know by the 1st of August. But as long as there's a
> date to work towards you'll appease most of us.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 189 bytes
Desc: Digital signature
Url : http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/attachments/20060216/cd074ce5/attachment-0001.pgp
More information about the linux-aus