[Linux-aus] LA grant application

Jonathan Oxer jon at ivt.com.au
Fri Dec 15 05:21:02 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 21:28 +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 10:21:44AM +1100, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> > I'm part of the organising committee for FOMS 2007 (11th-12th January
> > 2007) [...]
>
> > With this grant, Holger will come to Australia and attend FOMS, he
> > will also stay on for LCA and help out with the video recordings at
> > LCA, and Holger has offer to give a talk at SLUG.
>
> Holger's done a lot of good work with video for Debian and is also
> co-maintainer of FAI, and I'd expect that he'd be able to give a talk at
> the Debian miniconf at LCA too.

/me puts on "Debian Miniconf Convener" hat:

It would be excellent if we could make the most of Holger's visit and
also have him talk at the Miniconf. Holger, would you be interested in
that?

/me puts on "LA Member" hat:

> One other thing I'll throw in: the LA ctte's discussed a couple of times
> the possibility of helping to organise national tours for international
> guests -- so that if someone interesting is in the country, they have

That would be even better. I know it's asking a lot of Holger but it
would take this grant application to a whole new level: for a relatively
small increment in cost it would be possible to make the most of
Holger's visit to Australia and give many more people the opportunity to
hear him. The single biggest cost component is getting him to/from AU in
the first place, so if we're going to cover that cost then it's sensible
to make the most of his visit.

Of course it would also be smart to video his presentation: cheaper to
ship bits and bytes to remote LUGs than the man himself.

Cheers   :-)
--
Jonathan Oxer
Ph +61 3 9723 9399