defending FOSS was Re: [Linux-aus] [Fwd: Re: [xxxxxxx] FW: Re: S.A. Parliament - Ubuntu Matter of Interest]

Brenda Aynsley bpa at iss.net.au
Mon Dec 4 16:48:02 UTC 2006

folks you're missing the point of my email, i must do better in future
to be clear in what I am asking for/communicating.

I said "Would anyone on these lists care to argue the case in the
interest of educating professional ICT practitioners who are not across
the issue? "

I was asking for the learned people on this list to comment on the
misguided assertions of my colleagues.  the fact that it arose out of
one politicians speech making in the house, is irrelevant.  (I dont
disagree with the ideas espoused about getting out there and talking
with pollies but that's not the meat of this matter).

So how about it?  Do you want to join maddog and james in taking up the
challenge of provided evidence to the contrary.

If I can extract the essence of the points made by my ill-informed
colleagues:

* Open source software is not really free ... The cost of free open
source software is migration, maintenance and reliability issues.

[I know this has been addressed by con zymaris amongst others already]

* ... it is currently used mostly for running non-critical or highly
expensive infrastructure ... delivering non critical web content,
internet services and other non critical internet-related services

[maddog in part responded to this but other examples particularly in
australia would be great]

* Where more reliable services are required, it is more of Unix flavours
which are more often used than Linux

[what is meant by this do you think?]

* Costs  [of implementing FOSS} include change of hardware, retraining
staff, additional expert maintenance staff, buying online support 24/7,
design and implementation of addtional redundancy to have 100% backup in
case of breakdown

[are there total cost of ownership current docs around on this?]

* ... What happens when someone sneezes and the system locks up, or new
development is required to address a bug or new feature? The FOSS
zealots don't mention the hidden cost of open source adoption.

any contributionsyou can make would be appreciated so that I can come
back to my colleagues and start the process of education.

cheers
brenda

--
Brenda Aynsley, FACS
Director Oz Business Partners http://www.ozbusinesspartners.com/

Mobile:+61(0) 412 662 988 || Skype: callto://baynsley
Phone:08 8357 8844  Fax:08 8272 7486 Nodephone:08 7127 0107

Chairman ACS SA http://www.acs.org.au/
The ACS Computer Professional Educational Program impacts
on the Practising Computer Professional scheme. To see how visit
http://www.acs.org.au/cpprogram/cpp.htm