[Linux-aus] auda policy and FOSS projects

Joel jwshea at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 09:48:02 UTC 2006

> Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 22:19:16 +1100
> From: Mick Pollard <lists at lunix.com.au>
>
> Hey all,
>
> Has anyone tried to register a .au domain name for a foss project, as an
> individual ?

Yes.

> What was the reaction of the registrar ?

Approved.

> What did you put to satisfy the auda policy ?
> If I was to want to start a foss project and give back to the community
> why shouldn't I be allowed to have it under a .au domain name ?
> If I believe correctly the auda policy states you have to be a business
> or a registered organization or association or a sole trader with an ABN.

I believe that is correct for .com.au/.net.au/.org.au

> No room for the non-business/organization foss project. The hobbyist
> that codes after work.

.id.au

> If this is correct then what do you think the chances are of getting the
> auda policy changed to accommodate foss projects ?

There is currently discussion invloving ACMA and auDA to de-regulate
the .au TLD space.

> Hey we could even rally for a .foss.au 2LD.
> Comments please.

This would be great, I'll see if I can dig up a link regarding the
previously mentioned discussions on auDA policy.

--
Joel Shea <jwshea at gmail.com>
GPG Key ID: 0xA992856D