[Linux-aus] Running a Linux Demo Zone at CeBIT

Jonathan Oxer jon at ivt.com.au
Thu Apr 27 08:37:02 UTC 2006

Hi LA and SLUG,

We have been given the opportunity to run a huge Linux Demo Zone at
CeBIT in a couple of weeks - this is in addition to the "normal" Linux
Australia stand that Pia is organising, and will be a place where we
can run a bunch of computers for people to come and try Linux for
themselves.

But to make it happen we're going to need a lot of resources in a very
short time. CeBIT are providing an enormous 12m x 3m stand for the
Linux Demo Zone but it's up to us to arrange everything else. At the
very least we're going to need:

 * Computers
 * Furniture of some kind to put them on
 * Power boards and extension cables
 * People to help with setup, answering questions, and tear-down

Although not essential it would also be great if we could arrange
Internet access through a wireless provider and network them all so
people can use them to check email and do general web surfing while at
the show. That could make the stand a real hub of activity and expose
even more people to Linux.

If you have *any* ideas about sources for any of the above please let
me know ASAP. For example, maybe there's a Linux training company in
Sydney that would be willing to let us use some of their computers in
exchange for exposure to potential Linux users. Being based in
Melbourne I'm not really familiar with who's who in Sydney so I'm
going to need all the help I can get to make this happen in a hurry.

You can contact me on 03 9723 9399 (BH) or 0438 516 600 (most times)
if you have any suggestions. This is probably the biggest opportunity
we've ever had to expose Linux to a large number of people first-hand
so it would be good if we made the most of it.

Cheers   :-)

Jonathan Oxer