[Linux-aus] Ubuntu Certification (was: lca2005 CD)

Jonathon Coombes jon at cybersite.com.au
Wed Apr 5 12:48:05 UTC 2006

On 05/04/2006, at 12:23 PM, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> <quote who="Steve Walsh">
>
>> Now forgive me if I'm wrong, and please be nice enough to flame me
>> off
>> list if I am, but I was under the impression the LPI's were meant
>> to be
>> Vendor Neutral. By introducing a vendor specific exam into the LPI
>> stream,
>> isn't this just moving the LPI's away from their Benefit ie - A
>> means of
>> measuring the certified person's knowledge of the core linux
>> kernel and
>> subsystem. ?
>
> I tend to think this model better supports the vendor neutral
> approach that
> LPI has taken. Choose your poison: LPI 101, 102 and Ubuntu 103 on
> top or an
> entirely separate RHCE or Novell certification?

Actually, The Novell certification is done in a very similar way,
just maybe not as dis-associated at you put it. They do state that it
is just an addition to the LPI however. RHCE, that is another matter ;)

I agree that the principle of it is probably the best way of doing
it, but I tend to agree that it may murky the waters of LPI being
vendor neutral.

Regards
Jonathon