[Linux-aus] Ubuntu Certification (was: lca2005 CD)

Jonathon Coombes jon at cybersite.com.au
Wed Apr 5 12:48:01 UTC 2006

On 05/04/2006, at 12:23 PM, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> <quote who="Steve Walsh">
>
>> Now forgive me if I'm wrong, and please be nice enough to flame me
>> off
>> list if I am, but I was under the impression the LPI's were meant
>> to be
>> Vendor Neutral. By introducing a vendor specific exam into the LPI
>> stream,
>> isn't this just moving the LPI's away from their Benefit ie - A
>> means of
>> measuring the certified person's knowledge of the core linux
>> kernel and
>> subsystem. ?
>
> I tend to think this model better supports the vendor neutral
> approach that
> LPI has taken. Choose your poison: LPI 101, 102 and Ubuntu 103 on
> top or an
> entirely separate RHCE or Novell certification?

One thing that may come from doing certifications in such a way, that
is, LPI plus "Specific" linux, is that it may start to diminish the
quality of the LPI certification. What exactly is in all these
specific distributions - SuSE, Ubuntu etc that is not covered in the
LPI? It is usually specific tools such as configuration tools,
network tools etc. These are not Linux as such, but relate more to
certification of a particular application.

Regards
Jonathon