[Linux-aus] Automatically punished for doing the right thing?

Tim Connors tconnors+la at astro.swin.edu.au
Tue Oct 18 16:05:04 UTC 2005

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, Daniel Stone wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 12:52:19PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> > On Wednesday 31 August 2005 08:03, Mary Gardiner wrote:
> > > You might have just got unlucky, refused a mail with a faked
> > > bounce address, and the relay that was sending the spam on
> > > obediantly passed those bounces onto the genuine article.
> >
> > Possibly. I refused the mail with a 550 at SMTP time. I s'pose I could
> > troll through Digital's logs and see what it thinks happened.
>
> Or just move to silently rejecting mail you decide is spam, to prevent
> people like myself from being flooded with fake bounces.

Fricking AOL.  20 bounces so far from real AOL mail servers, generating
"this mail has a virus".  The original mail that is tripping AOL is all
coming from the one machine.

I know AOL are clue devoid, but viruses?  Bounces?  When was the last time
a virus *didn't* forge a From: email address?

Rejecting with 550, if you are the primary MX, without spooling, is a Good
Thing.  Rejecting it if you are behind the primary MX, is a Bad Thing,
because it then tells the primary, which spooled the message, to generate
a bounce.

--
TimC
Can you keep your witty comments shorter dude? I can't