[Osia-discuss] Re: [Linux-aus] Help with a political approach to Open Source please :)

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Mon Oct 10 09:04:01 UTC 2005

On Sun, Oct 09, 2005 at 09:06:45AM +1000, Pia Waugh wrote:
> Hey Con,
>
> <quote who="Con Zymaris">
>
> > http://www.cybersource.com.au/users/conz/introduction_to_open_source_software.pdf
>
> This is a good base introduction, but it is really only talking about the
> business case benefits, and my aim is to get OS on the political agenda,

Indeed - totally different.

This document, in essence, is a structured letter, not a report or
anything else. It is, as mentioned, the third or forth 'letter' we send
these contacts, so it's part of a sequence and not intended to be a
self-standing item. We could have done everything we needed to do in plain
ASCII text, but it just looks nicer as a PDF.

> which is why I've gone with more high level economic and social benefits. I
> think the points you've raised in this are pretty good, and I'd like to use
> a bit if that is ok. I also have some suggestions for the document below if
> it is useful.

no problemo.

> Technical points:
> - No mention of Evolution?

Doesn't run on Windows. Few of these people will be using Linux.

> - Hula?
> - Drupal or MySource Matrix

It's a case of "How much do you put in?"

> - Why aren't osia.net.au or linux.org.au on the recommended links? On the

It's an OSV document - confuses the issue to point to too many
organisations.

>   linux.org.au site we now have a list of case studies, screenshots, and
> osia is obviously relevant. Telling someone all that and then pointing them
> to sourceforge is a bit cruel really :) At least pointing to a vendor
> listing from somewhere.

Sourceforge lists apps. We want them to be able to search for and find
apps.

> - If it is an OSV doco then why are the contact details all CyberSource? Is

There is no OSV office or phone numbers. We're making the contact so we
need to provide our contact details. The document points out that we stay
well clear of pushing any commercial emphasis - it's the only way to gain
the necessary trust.

>   it an OSV doco or a cybersource doco? Just want to be clear. I have no
> problems with marketing documents as long as there is no confusion.

It's an OSV doco, thus the OSV logo and branding in the footer.

> > We've got the process just about right for this audience. If people want
> > to volunteer help so we can reach other audiences, (non--profits, local
> > councils, business councils, professional associations, sporting clubs
> > etc), please speak to me so we can co-ordinate and optimise efforts. This
> > is a year-long project for one or two people, but could be a 3 month one
> > for 6 people.
>
> If I'd known your were doing this I would certainly have volunteered to help
> :) If you could post such initiatives to list I'm sure you'll get a lot of
> willing hands :)

I've found the best approach is to just go ahead and do things and then
work with people do define new areas which need to be covered, then
allocate those areas to volunteers.

Con Zymaris <conz at cyber.com.au> Level 4, 10 Queen St, Melbourne, Australia
Web: http://www.cyber.com.au/  Phone: 03 9621 2377   Fax: 03 9621 2477