[Linux-aus] Re: [Osia-discuss] Help with a political approach to Open Source please :)

anthony hornby anthony.hornby at cdu.edu.au
Fri Oct 7 10:50:04 UTC 2005

Sure,
so how do community members know where this stuff is?
Apart from asking this helpful list :-)

Are these resources linked of the Linux Australia site, the OSIA site?

How do you as someone looking for this information find these articles
quickly and know they are the resources which the linux community
support as being a fair representation of what is out there?

A short abstract of the article from someone who knows the content makes
a big difference to which resources researchers choose to investigate
first when they are busy and trying to discern from the thousands of
links, hits, other sources they have discovered, what is worth looking
into and what isn't. Having the resource linked from the site of a peak
body for that industry like OSIA or Linux Australia with some context
provided by industry leaders gives the material credibility by
association.

Having things exist doesn't mean they are easily discoverable or tell
you anything about what peers in industry actually feel about them.

I agree with the principle of "don't re-invent the wheel". I am not
suggesting we go and write lots of content or that a bibliography or
directory has to have thousands of entries. I am just suggesting that if
there are a few choice resources (such as the two you just provided)
that the community feels are worthwhile for people who wish to know more
about open source that we raise the profile of these and make them more
discoverable.

For example the Open Source Industry Australia OSIA site under "open
source resources" -> "open source in government" has nothing listed
http://www.osia.net.au/open_source_resources/open_source_in_government

Similarly Open Source Victoria OSV has only one report listed under
reports and studies http://www.osv.org.au/reports

The Linux Australia site has no links I could find that answer the "why
open source could be for me" questions.

Certainly none link to the two good articles you just sent to me. How
would I find those on my own and know they are better and more relevant
to me than the thousands of hits I get in a google search?

There are good resources under other categories at OSIA however, and
various LUGs and other interested bodies etc keep their own lists of
links to resources on their own sites - why not have one central
resource that is succinct, current and relevant on either Linux
Australia or OSIA.

Why not have one resource for directing people to for that initial
investigation of "is open source appropriate to me" where we can be
confident there are quality refereed materials present to paint a fair
and honest picture, and perhaps whet their appetite to find out more.

"One resource to bring them all and in the  .....", oops been watching
LOTR too much, back on topic ....

If that is not feasible then at least have a directory to where all the
other LUGs and open source bodies resources are?

Personally I think a short "best of" with annotations from those
industry leaders who propose those resources placing them in the
appropriate context is the way to go.

First impressions count.

Anyway it is only an idea, and this is just my humble opinion.

Not looking to start any wars.

Regards Anthony.

--
Mr Anthony Hornby RHCE BIT ALIATEC
Library Systems & Technology Coordinator

Note: This email was sent from a computer running the Linux
operating system.  The Linux operating system isn't harmed by
any of the 100,000 or so Windows viruses you see on the news,
and nor does it accidentally pass them on.