[Linux-aus] Re: [Osia-discuss] Help with a political approach to Open Source please :)

Pia Waugh greebo at pipka.org
Thu Oct 6 06:39:02 UTC 2005

Hi Con,

<quote who="Con Zymaris">

> You're assuming they care that we will only be a branch office economy at
> best and merely a consumer of ICT ;-) That's what their plan actually
> _is_! There is no real integration or co-operation between government
> procurement, for instance, and the Austrade and industry development arms
> of government.

And it is that kind of positivity that will help us drive real change ;P

Lets think about this. I've not said that I'm going to appeal to the innate
goodness or kindness of people, I'm more of a realist than that. We are
appealing to the competitive and ambitious nature of politicians. I am
looking to hand them answers to issues, ones relevant to their personal
interests and ideals, that are perceived as being things they could base a
career or at least a career step on. I am looking to get them to see Open
Source as a way to make real economic and social change in this country, as
we've alreayd seen it happen in many other countries, and I'm looking to
"assist" them to understand the great opportunity in front of Australia if
we grab it.

Cheers,
Pia

--