[Linux-aus] Computerbank Victoria Inc Grant Request - Free End User Linux Training

Robert Stoffers rstoffers at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 18:20:03 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 12:51 +1000, Kylie Davies wrote:
> Date: 29th September, 2005
>
> Project: Free end user Linux Computer Training sessions at Computerbank
> Victoria
>
> Aims: To ease the training bottleneck by increasing the number of free
> group Linux training sessions to recipients of our computers. To
> continue to provide our printed Linux desktop guide free of charge.
>
> Request:
>
> - Up to $1500 to increase the number of free training sessions we run
> over the next 6-8 months. We would use this money to pay honorariums to
> trainers to deliver and help support the delivery of training sessions
> through 'train the trainer' workshops. The focus of these sessions is to
> teach our volunteers to sensitively introduce computers and Linux to
> people new to computers. We feel this will ease the training backlog as
> well as provide opportunities for more volunteers to become skilled
> trainers.
>
> The payment to trainers would be $50 for a three hour session.
>
> - $300 to help cover costs (paper, toner, and staples) of printing the
> Linux guide provided to all recipients of our computers. The cost of the
> 22 page guide is around $1.20 a copy (double sided). This will allow us
> to print 250 copies. We would include a 'printed with the help of a
> Linux Australia grant' acknowledgment in the guide and have plans to
> approach businesses for sponsorship to print the guide in the future.
>
> Total Request: $1,800
>
> Background: Computerbank Victoria is a not for profit organisation
> distributing donated refurbished computers to disadvantaged individuals
> and community groups. Our inhouse Debian Knoppix distro has been
> designed to run fast on low end computers. These computers come with
> approximately 50 programs to help disadvantaged communities bridge the
> digital divide.
>
> Computerbank Victoria has distributed around 1400 Linux computers and
> placed 1600 more. We have been providing free Linux training since 1999.
> People who have used our service include the elderly, youth, unemployed,
> single parent families, people with disabilities and people from
> non-English speaking backgrounds as well as under resourced community
> groups. See http://vic.computerbank.org.au/for more information about
> our work.
>
> We have computers and plenty of people wanting our Linux computers.
> However we have a bottleneck distributing these computers because we
> don't have enough trainers to deliver our three hour end user Linux
> group training sessions. The current waiting time to receive a computer
> is around 3 months. If we had more trainers and training sessions we
> could considerably shorten the waiting time.
>
> Linux training and education is an important part of Computerbank's work
> to bridge the digital divide. The people we train are often computer
> newbies and/or new to Linux. Our three hour training session launches
> [...]

Hi,

Have you tried enlisting help from one or both of the two Melbourne
based LUGs? I'm sure there are plenty of knowledgeable people there who
would teach a class about Linux for the sake of being able to put it on
their resume, or even just for the satisfaction of helping others.

Unfortunately I call sunny north Queensland home (go Cowboys!),
otherwise I would offer some of my spare time to teach free of charge. I
just think the money would be better spent on more Linux guides/CDs then
paying people to teach.

Regards,

--
Robert Stoffers