[Linux-aus] Choosing the LCA '07 host city

Jonathan Oxer jon at ivt.com.au
Fri Nov 18 13:38:02 UTC 2005

On 11/15/05, Julien Goodwin <jgoodwin at studio442.com.au> wrote:

> I'd just like to state publically that whilst Jon Oxer has been on the
> melb-lca list he's had no active involvement since June and what
> involvement he has had was mostly generic advice, (There was one phone
> call in October inquiring of the bid process but that was a call to the
> LA pres). I feel that, knowing Jon, he would be able to cast a fair bid
> if needed, however I'm certainly happy to see him publically state his
> percieved conflict of intrest.

Julien is exactly correct. Although I was involved early on with
raising the idea of a Melbourne bid through LUV and am still on the
mailing list, I haven't been directly involved for some time. Part of
the reason for that is that I don't want even the appearance of
impropriety due to my position within LA. At this point I personally
feel I am in a position to act impartially, but if folks feel it would
be preferable for me to unsubscribe from the Melbourne bid list I'll
happily do that.

I don't see a reason for a huge amount of secrecy about this: the
process of selecting the host city has worked well the last couple of
years mainly because the various bid teams were open and happy to chat
to each other and the LA ctte about what they were up to rather than
keep everything sekr1t.

Cheers   :-)

Jonathan Oxer