[Linux-aus] Re: Yet more conference action: OSDC2005

Matthew Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Wed May 4 13:09:02 UTC 2005

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 02:48:27PM +1000, Jonathan Oxer wrote:
> Once again, if anyone has thought on the whole LA/LCA/OSDC/LWE
> relationship please let me know. My personal take on it is the various
> confs can and should cooperate to reach different audiences with
> different goals:
>
>  * LCA: hard-core Linux developers, covering a spectrum of kernel and
> userspace technologies.
>  * OSDC: developers using open-source at a slightly 'higher' level,
> primarily userspace technologies including those intended to run on
> proprietary platforms.
>  * LWE: business focused, showing off the best Linux-based products and
> services to the world at large.

LCA: Those who make OSS
OSDC: Those who use OSS to make software (OSS or otherwise)
LWE: Anyone who pays people to go to the previous two conferences

Seems like a good split to me.

Getting the three groups to coordinate closely might be a little tricky,
especially those which have profit as a motive -- they're more likely to
want to grow into something bigger all the time.

- Matt