[Linux-aus] Edexpo - Getting some airplay for Linux in education

Pia Waugh greebo at pipka.org
Tue May 3 21:18:02 UTC 2005

Hi all,

Linux Australia has sponsored a booth at NSW's biggest education expo in 2
weeks. We are one of the only Linux organisations there, and last year was
huge! It is a chance to showcase some Linux stuff for schools, and Sara and
Mohammad Kaan have put many hours into preparation for the day. Many thanks
to them for the initiative! The expo is in Sydney at the Exhibition Centre,
Rosehill Racecourse, Sydney, Australia. Sat 14 and Sun 15 May 2005, 10am - 4pm daily (http://www.edexpo.info/)

We still need a few things. If any of the FOSS businesses out there would
like to assist with the event we are looking for some prizes and drawcards
for the booth. We are also looking for some better furniture to use for the
weekend if anyone has some slick furniture we can use. The booth hire was
about $3k, so you can imagine what they were trying to charge for furniture
hire.

We also need people willing to spend a few hours either at the booth or
wandering around the event talking to people about FOSS, handing out CD's or
whatever tickles their fancy. Linux t-shirts are very welcome! The more
people see, the more they'll think about it :) We'll have some free tickets,
however if we can't get enough, tickets are only $10. If anyone has other
ideas, or pamphlets they'd like at the booth, or anything else they can do,
please let myself or Sara know. Particularly those who work in education and
have some ideas relevant to the sort of crowds expected, which will consist
of parents, kids, principals, IT managers, and more.

Rock on Linux in education!
Pia

--
Linux Australia                                         http://linux.org.au/