[Linux-aus] Proposal: LA cooperation with Community Code

Mary Gardiner mary-la at puzzling.org
Sun Mar 13 12:06:02 UTC 2005

On Sun, Mar 13, 2005, Anthony Towns wrote:
> So, AIUI, Community Code intends to be an organisation to promote open
> source development within the parameters of the "Mutual Obligation"
> requirements for welfare. So a "Hack for the Dole" programme, basically.

Yeah, that's a big part of the formalism of the setup. Fufilling the MO
requirements will mean that CC will have to document participants'
efforts in sufficient detail for them to meet whatever requirements
their case manager (or whatever the name is) needs.

It's not intended to be restricted to people on Newstart, or even have
participants primarily on Newstart. It should also be suitable for
people who want to work on FOSS but would benefit for whatever reason
from some mentoring. But explicitly supporting Mutual Obligation is what
forces the need for it to be formally non-profit and insured.

> The aim seems to be to provide mentoring and appropriate documentation,
> with the goals of getting some neat software developed, and providing
> the individuals involved with some documented experience they can then
> use to get a real job. I assume there are already some people willing to
> work gratis as mentors?

http://www.communitycode.org/wiki/moin.cgi/MentorOthers

-Mary