[Linux-aus] Proposal: LA cooperation with Community Code

Anthony Towns secretary at linux.org.au
Sun Mar 13 11:54:02 UTC 2005

Matthew Palmer wrote:
> I'm placing this proposal here on behalf of the members of the Community
> Code mailing list, for discussion and general approval/disapproval by the
> members and committee of Linux Australia.

Ugh, seems so complicated. From http://www.communitycode.org/ I see that
the government is involved, and suddenly understand.

So, AIUI, Community Code intends to be an organisation to promote open
source development within the parameters of the "Mutual Obligation"
requirements for welfare. So a "Hack for the Dole" programme, basically.

The aim seems to be to provide mentoring and appropriate documentation,
with the goals of getting some neat software developed, and providing
the individuals involved with some documented experience they can then
use to get a real job. I assume there are already some people willing to
work gratis as mentors?

> Scope of Activities
> CommunityCode intends to carry out the following activities:
>  * Programming, documenting, and otherwise working with FLOSS projects by
>  	means of the Internet;
>  * Meetings between mentors and participants, and between mentors.
> At present, we are willing to limit our activities to 15 Community
> Code mentors and participants at a time.

The involvement of LA seems to be one of "seal of approval" so people
can rely on you not being a fly-by-night operation, and providing
insurance coverage.

Having a Community Code sub-ctte that reports to the LA exec seems the
way to go. I imagine we'd expect reports to be posted to linux-aus, and
the ctte chair to provide any clarifications that seem appropriate.

I imagine the Community Code sub-ctte might need occassional access to
legal advice through LA, but otherwise shouldn't need any additional
financial/organisational support for the forseeable future.

Is that what we're talking about here? It seems pretty reasonable to me,
once you get through all the wherefores and thithers...

Cheers,
aj

--
Anthony Towns <secretary at linux.org.au>