Re: [Linux-aus] Salary Survey

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005, Morgan Tocker wrote:

What is the average earnings of people doing what I am doing?  Shit, why I
am I being paid 3 standard deviations below what I should be
paid???!one!1

I think this sums it up well for me. I had a chat to some of my peers at work about the Hays survey a while back. We thought that it was inflated because they were trying to encourage people to jump ship and look for new jobs ;-)

Anyhow, a while back I printed out the survey and highlighted the
position(s) which best matched my role as I went for my review. It
went something like "This is the role I am fulfilling.  This seems to
be the industry rate.  I'm happy today and I like working here, but to
stop the temptations of jumping down the track, how about we talk a
little".

I guess in truthfulness many of us don't know how much we should ask
for because we don't know what we should be (it's hard to est. your
own value to a company).  I'm really enthusiastic that LA can put
together some good stats and there will be enough transparency that I
won't be suspicious of some of the figures like in Hays.

$0.02

I think that this goes to the principle embodied in my signature quote.

I had understood that the purpose of such a survey to be conducted, would be to provide a snapshot of people's incomes in the IT industry, not to provide an assessment of what people "should" be being paid.

There is also another pertinent question to be included in such a survey, which would have a significant bearing on the results, and that is, "In which state and city are you living and working (or, in which postcode do you do most of your work or are you employed most of the time)?".

From what I understand, for example, for a number of years now, people
who live and work in Sydney in IT, are supposed to get paid about double what they would get paid if they were living and working in Perth, WA, doing the same work and having the same qualifications and experience, due to a number of factors, such as the higher cost of living in Sydney, and the greater demand for IT professionals in Sydney. I may be wrong in my understanding, but it is from advice from people that I have regarded as reliable.

Likewise, I expect that an IT professional working in Bunbury, WA, would be unlikely to be being paid as much as a person doing the same work and having the same qualifications and experience, living and working in Perth, WA, for similar reasons.

Of course, also from what I understand, the location can be of less significance, if the employer is a large corporation or federal government department, where the pay rates would be independent of location unless working in a "remote" location (where "remote" does not include Perth, even though other parts of the country may regard Perth as being remote...).

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."