Re: [Linux-aus] Salary Survey

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005, David Lloyd wrote:

> In other words, we may come up with something like this:
>
>  Open Source Industry Programmers are paid a median of $40 000 gross per
>  year with a standard deviation of $2500. 10% of this grouping is paid
>  more than $65 000 and 10% of this grouping is paid less than $35 000.
>
> [these figures are pulled out of thin air btw]

> I think Linux Australia has gone 'Aha! Here's a cool and interesting
> idea, let's go and implement it!' without actually answering 'Aha!
> Here's a cool and interesting idea, but WHY would we want to implement
> it?'.

Say, I've know I have the same skills as Joe Bloggs, master Unix hacker,
and we work for similar companies, and we are both equally as important to
our respective companies.  But I feel perhaps that my company is ripping
me off, despite having more money to play with in the bank.  Joe happens
to have a ferarri, and I am of the particularly shallow variety of person
who thinks I also need a ferarri.

What is the average earnings of people doing what I am doing?  Shit, why I
am I being paid 3 standard deviations below what I should be
paid???!one!1

--
TimC
As a computer, I find your faith in technology amusing.