[Linux-aus] Re: Hello everyone! and Grant Request

On Sat, Jul 02, 2005 at 06:12:19PM +0800, Mark Tearle wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005, Tim Ansell wrote:
> >FXS devices are still very expensive however (the cheapest being around
> >$AUS 70 per line). A FXS line is required for every internal phone, so
> >while it Asterisk might be able to get away with a small number of FXO
> >lines it needs numerous FXS lines.
>
> *snip*
>
> >The clear benefit of this project is that cheap FXS devices become
> >available. This could dramatically increase Asterisk's penetration into
> >areas which would not normally consider VOIP PBX to be cost effective
> >savings, such as small business and general home usage. It will also
> >help further the goal of moving to a completely open system, one which
> >includes open hardware.
>
> Quick question:  how are you going to deal with compliance and
> certification to Australian Standards for these devices?

As I read the proposal, no certification would be required because there's
no interconnection to the PSTN.  These are regular phone to PABX
interconnects that are being designed.

I've got mixed feelings about the project itself.  On the one hand, it's
cool hardware, and I love cool hardware, but I'm not sure about the
advancement of FLOSS that would result from this work being done.  I'd talk
to some of the FOSS-based companies that are doing lots of VoIP stuff (Si2,
for example) and see if they'd be interested in helping you out with some of
your requirements.

- Matt