Re: [Linux-aus] Can Linux Australia survive?

On Sat, 2005-07-02 at 08:04, Lorn Potter wrote:
> Bret Busby wrote:
>
> > There are the different aspects of this issue, the first being the
> > holding of a "Linux Australia" conference, overseas, and, the second,
>
> I am new here (american working in Brisbane), and I don't know much of
> LA's past or dealings, only what I learned in Canberra.
>
>  From an outsiders perspective, it does seem odd that Linux _Australia_,
> would have a Linux conference in a different country. It would be a bit
> like Linux Canada holding a Linux Canada conference in the US or the
> Bahamas. Does it really make sense? Doesn't New Zealand have their own
> Linux New Zealand organization? Is it Linux Commonwealth? What kind of
> message does this send to organizations looking to help to promote Linux
> in _Australia_?
>
> Everyone whom I have told this to, including non geek types that don't
> know anything about Linux, thinks this seems a bit odd, and raises a lot
> of eyebrows.

The relationship between Australia and New Zealand is a little different
than Canada and the US. Where Canada and the US view each other as
distant cousins, Australia and New Zealand are more like siblings with
all the rivalries and issues that entails.

Australia and New Zealand have routinely shared organisations and from
the little looking around I have done it appears that NZ does not really
have a linux focused organisation like Linux Australia, instead there
seems to be a couple of sites that may turn into Linux NZ at a future
date.

As I understand it NZ made a bid for the conference themselves thus
removing the argument that we're moving in on some other organisations
territory.
--
James Purser
http://k-sit.com