[Linux-aus] Messaging and recent discussions

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Mon Jul 4 19:52:01 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 07:03:24PM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:

>   http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/0,2000061733,39200495,00.htm
>
> I can't really fault Renai for what I'd characterise as a misrepresentation
> of LA's current status - it's quite reasonable if you consider the material
> provided (the primary initial expression being Jon's email).

I think that's a fine story, and not a misrepresentation at all. I agree
with Jeff that it's not a misrepresentation of the discussion. I further
don't think the discussion is a misrepresentation of the status of LA.
LA is going through growing pains because it is a growing organisation.
LA is growing because the community it serves and represents is growing.

The Australian Linux community reaches well beyond the linux-aus list,
and well beyond LA membership. It's great that something as trifling as a
discussion of LA's organisational structure is not only considered
newsworthy, but deserving of a well-researched article. Seriously:

  For how many organisations of LA's size does "we're /thinking/ about
  a re-organisation" make news?

Coverage like this demonstrates LA's relevence beyond the LA membership,
and will hopefully invite constructive comment from the broader Australian
Linux community. Onya Leon for posting a link back to this list.

As Jeff suggests, it should also encourage us to remember that linux-aus
is open. But there is no need to hide issues that concern us, to detach
ourselves emotionally, or to pretend that LA is not driven by the passion
of its membership.

Please consider your wording before posting, but do post.

Conrad.