[Linux-aus] Can Linux Australia survive?

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Mon Jul 4 08:33:03 UTC 2005

On Monday 04 July 2005 04:41, Lorn Potter wrote:
> I speak also for the people I have talked to who think it is very odd
> that linux _australia_, is having a conference in nz.
> Just because only two people voice their opinion on this list does
> not mean more people share the thought that it might seem a bit
> retarded for an organization suposedly dedicated to Linux in
> Australia (and so far as I can tell, no where in the Charter does it
> mention any other country).

If the normal rules apply, that means that roughly twenty people think
it's a silly idea, and roughly a hundred people think it's a good idea
and roughly a thousand people shrug and get on with their lives. Your
point?

At the risk of starting a flamewar, Bret is (and apparently always has
been) in the habit of objecting to lots of things, and this practice
has eventually led many people (full disclosure: including myself) to
discount him as a "no" vote because it's a kind of a given, automatic,
there doesn't appear to be more than reflex involved in making it
(although often there is considerable skill and effort put into
defending the decision once it's been made). Read this:

    http://www.storyarts.org/library/aesops/stories/boy.html

> Yes, _dedicated_ people will go through the process of getting a
> passport, arriving at the airport two hours before the flight to
> travel overseas, go through all the immigration/customs schmooschmaa
> to get to LCA.

Yes, and this leads me to wonder: since the $ and effort involved in all
of this is minimal compared with the $ and effort involved in many
people getting to LCA2003... do either of you or Bret have a specific
problem with obtaining travel documents? I know Bret's been overseas
(specifically to America) in the past, but that was then.

> If these highly dedicated people are your intended target, then
> Linux Australia will not grow.

I assert that this is wrong. Absolutely, 100% flat wrong.

LA would indeed grow, and possibly faster due to the reduction in
marginally interested hangers-on (the numbers in ten years might be
higher even if it didn't grow so fast in the short term, due to
"eugenic" effects). However, the LA that grew would be different to our
current LA. Think of uranium: the purer the energetic bits are, the
less of it you need in order to provoke a chain reaction.

The argument over whether this is a good thing or not could rage for
months, but it's not related to the basic question of whether LA would
grow or not. Until I see some serious reasoning to back up your
assumption, I assert that it will not fly.

> You must ask yourselves this, do you simply exist to preach to the
> choir? or trying to gather wider interest in Linux in for Australia?

Yes.

> Bret made a valid point, I believe.

Yes, but not valid enough to present a major problem. If LCA went off
touring the islands for a decade, or even went offshore for a few years
in a row or more than, say, 1/3 of all conferences, I would have an
issue with that.

Well... if they were *nice* islands... (-:

You see the conference is for Australian Linux users. That doesn't mean
that it has to be held here - although we usually have - just that
Australians should be able to participate.

In every previous year, location has not been a barrier, but venue size
has. But time and again, *different* organisers have refused to get too
ambitious about numbers specifically to retain the excellent character
of the conference. At 500 people, it's borderline "too large" already.

> Look at it this way - say I am a business with an interest in
> supporting the Linux community here in Australia. Why should I donate
> to an organization who purports to be for supporting the _Australian_
> Linux Community, when they are now supporting the Linux community
> Internationally? Is this organization really trustworthy with my
> money when the stated Charter does not even mention they are now
> supporting the Linux Community elsewhere?

The Linux community elsewhere is also supporting us. Perhaps we should
use our financial resources to repay that help?

Look at it another way: LCA2006 will almost certainly make a profit.
Think of it in fundraising terms, and all of the above becomes moot.

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia