[Linux-aus] Can Linux Australia survive?

Lorn Potter lpotter at trolltech.com
Sat Jul 2 06:23:02 UTC 2005

Bret Busby wrote:

> There are the different aspects of this issue, the first being the
> holding of a "Linux Australia" conference, overseas, and, the second,

I am new here (american working in Brisbane), and I don't know much of
LA's past or dealings, only what I learned in Canberra.

 From an outsiders perspective, it does seem odd that Linux _Australia_,
would have a Linux conference in a different country. It would be a bit
like Linux Canada holding a Linux Canada conference in the US or the
Bahamas. Does it really make sense? Doesn't New Zealand have their own
Linux New Zealand organization? Is it Linux Commonwealth? What kind of
message does this send to organizations looking to help to promote Linux
in _Australia_?

Everyone whom I have told this to, including non geek types that don't
know anything about Linux, thinks this seems a bit odd, and raises a lot
of eyebrows.

--
Lorn 'ljp' Potter
Trolltech Qtopia Community Manager