[Linux-aus] Can Linux Australia survive?

Marco Ostini m.ostini at uq.edu.au
Fri Jul 1 15:36:02 UTC 2005

In my opinion there have been a number of good points be posted by
Stewart & Bret.

LA is only functioning at the moment due to volunteer efforts which is
both highly commendable of those on the Exec committee, as they do the
dirty work for us, but also demands transparency.

There may indeed be weekly communication between the Exec committee
members but this is not always reflected in communications of those
meetings making it to this list.

I hope I'm missing something here & that they're documented elsewhere
for LA members to read.

So for the average LA member, who actually *does* care about all of LA
and not just about a linux.conf when it's geographicly near them, this
gives an incomplete stream of information.

Is the average LA member who cared also required to set up RSS feeds to
a number of blogs also to keep abreast with things? If so, this should
be documented.

Although in my opinion Bret's comments & accusation regarding holding
the next LA in NZ is nonsense, his later claim about lacking dignity is
not altogether without substance.

So from there we need to ask (again), who is LA supposed to serve? -
during a linux.conf and in between them. Who are it's members? If
members have chosen not to be on this list, why?

I know of a few LA members, who are professionals & work with linux who
don't subscribe to the list because they don't feel that the investment
of their time is worth the effort.

Although I disagree with them, I can empathise with their point. There
is a strong noise to signal level.

Now for a constructive suggestion;

The System Administrators Guild of Australia is an organisation that's
similar in a number of ways to LA.

http://www.sage-au.org.au/

They have an annual Conference & ongoing support for members in between
them. They also have employed an administrator/secretary to assist with
their running while also employing lots of volunteer efforts on behalf
of members.

As a member of both LA & SAGE I have found that SAGE looks after it's
members much better between conf's than LA & It's lists have lots of
excellent on topic information & discussion.

Their site works much better for members also. (I still get "Application
for Membership Form" emails from LA after lots of mucking about)

It won't hurt LA at all to contact this group and find out how they
work. Take what works, leave what doesn't, even if to find out some
details about their administrator/secretary.

Cheers,

Marco