Re: [Linux-aus] About a User Conference (was...)

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 01:20:27PM +0800, Tim Bowden wrote:

> > That's debatable but let's assume you are correct for now.
>
> There has been enough noise to indicate a very good chance that a user
> conf will go down well and be successful.

Noise is one thing.  Action is another.

I'll think the jury is still in abeyance about whether a user conference
goes ahead.  Most of your other points I've already indicated my stance;
but those who put together a conference of this type really do get to
choose how and what format it runs.

That said two companies have already indicated an interest in assisting
anyone who does want to do this kind of conference.

[snip]

> > As I said above, anything more $0 is too much. I also think having an
> > event where everyone gathers together is wrong for a user focused event.
> > I think it would be simpler, and cheaper, to organise the speakers and
> > instead have the event over 4 weekends.
>
> Disagree.  I'd like to attend a focused two or three days where I can
> get all the meaty stuff in one hit.

What I was suggesting was something like:

LUGcon'05: "It's alive"

Mar 05 - 06: Melbourne
Mar 12 - 13: Sydney
Mar 19 - 20: Brisbane
etc.

Each weekend a different city with (mostly) the same content.

Regards,
Anand

--
linux.conf.au 2005   -  http://lca2005.linux.org.au/  -  Birthplace of Tux