Re: [Linux-aus] LA ctte meeting summary 2005/02/13

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Michael Still wrote:

Bret Busby wrote:

2. Reagarding the item regarding possible future Linux User Conferences, and, with the reference in that item, to the annual Linux Conference, it is my understanding that the current annual Linux Conference, superseded what was previously an annual Linux Users Conference, previously known as the CALU - the Conference of Australian Linux Users. Could this please be clarified? It appears to me, that what is being suggested, previously existed, and was replaced, as it appears that those responsible, adopted the Monty Python slogan - "And now for something completely different" - ending the annual Linux Users Conference in Australia, and replacing it with the Linux Conference (I do not call it Linux Conference Australia, as it is apparently going offshore in future).

Your implication is that change is always bad. Does that mean we should stay in Windows-centric world?

Mikal

Like some of these twits here have been saying about a half-hearted referendum this coming weekend - No and No.

I have not inferred that change is alwways bad. My point was that what is suggested, already existed, and was done away with. There appears to be a difference in understanding what had existed. I had understood that the CALU had been run a number of times - someone has said that it had only been run once.

Perhaps the CALU was just not as good a name for the event, as it could have been.

Hence, my reference to the four possible streams (if not at the same conference, then at separate conferences). I believe that we already have two of the four streams, as separate conferences. I have seen promotional material for an end-user conference - something to do with desktops, including comparing the benefits of Linux desktops from four manufacturers, and, I believe that I have seen promotional material for an open-source developers conference, both in Australia (I say that here, not in any reference to the holding of the Linux conference in NZ, but, because I think, from memory, those two events are being organised and held in Australia, although, not by Linux Australia).

We are required to stay in a windows-centric world, whether we like it or not. That does not mean that we have to use Windows. I prefer Doors, but Jim Morrison is dead, and the acid has gone.

And, to leave this windows-centric world, I would be very wary. After all, as has been stated, it is easy to mix up miles and kilometres, and the loss of a 400 million USD space mission, travelling into unknown, deep space, is an acceptable loss. So, we may be better hanging on to the rocks, in this windows-centric world.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

you'll know what the answer means."