[Linux-aus] LA ctte meeting summary 2005/02/13

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Tue Feb 22 08:12:04 UTC 2005

Bret Busby wrote:
> 2. Reagarding the item regarding possible future Linux User Conferences,
> and, with the reference in that item, to the annual Linux Conference, it
> is my understanding that the current annual Linux Conference, superseded
> what was previously an annual Linux Users Conference, previously known
> as the CALU - the Conference of Australian Linux Users.

That conference was a one off -- the follow on was "linux.conf.au" in
Sydney. When Brisbane followed on from Sydney, we had the choice of
renaming it again, or keeping the name -- we decided to keep the name.
Since then it's been a tradition that people don't really think all that
much about. I don't know that CALU in 99 was actually that different
from LCA in 2005 -- there isn't really much difference between "power
users" and "developers" in the Linux community.

LCA has become primarily about getting the actual developers of Linux
and open source projects to talk; but that also makes it a pretty
high-level conference and forces you to miss out on interesting
tutorials like "How to get the most out of emacs" that are more about
teaching the audience something than about new advances in free software.

I'd be all for some new conference taking over the CALU name personally.

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers,
aj