[Linux-aus] Flyspray task tracker for Linux Australia

Jonathan Oxer jon at ivt.com.au
Mon Feb 21 14:12:05 UTC 2005

Hi there party people,

The next step in the changes to the way Linux Australia operates is the
setup of a task tracker. The task tracker will primarily be for
Committee members to obsess over every waking minute (yeah, right!) but
will be run publicly and all LA members are encouraged to use it to see
where things are up to.

Initially we'll be trialling Flyspray (http://flyspray.rocks.cc/), a
task tracker developed by an Aussie named Tony Collins. It's originally
intended to be a bug tracker for software development projects so there
are some fields in it that are irrelevant, but it still seems to suit
our more general organisational task-tracking requirements fairly well
so we'll give it a try and see what happens.

Ultimately we'll move our task tracker to an official address but to get
things started I've set up a basic Flyspray installation at
http://jon.oxer.com.au/latasks/. Feel free to have a look and make
suggestions.

I expect we'll re-skin it later. It's just got the default theme
installed at the moment and is running largely as a default installation
other than some basic config changes. So far I've set up groups for
admin, committee, members, and public, and created a few task categories
including general, lca2005, lca2006, website, and lpi.

I've also added all the committee members as users, and I'll contact
each of them individually with their password on the system and then
start adding tasks for them as a starting point.

There are a bunch of things you can do in Flyspray like add yourself to
a notification list for tasks you have an interest in, append comments
and files to tasks, check task history, etc. There are some docs on the
Flyspray site and also in a PDF at http://jon.oxer.com.au/flyspray/

Finally, for those of you in Melbourne, Tony Collins will be doing a
presentation on Flyspray at Melbourne PHP User Group next week
(http://melbourne.ug.php.net/). Could be a good chance to fire some
questions at him if you're so inclined.

Comments welcome.

Cheers   :-)