[Linux-aus] member signup page text

Mary Gardiner mary-la at puzzling.org
Wed Feb 16 12:40:02 UTC 2005

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005, Jonathan Oxer wrote:
> Yes, I don't see what purpose it would serve to publicly display a
> member list and it may discourage people from joining. In fact there may
> even be reasons we *can't* publish a membership list without being in
> breach of the Privacy Act. Not sure about that, but in any case I can't
> see any reason for this clause in the signup form.
>
> Can anyone think of a reason not to drop it?

Your current constitution (if that's what's at
http://www.linux.org.au/about/constitution ) has this clause:

    7 - Register of members

    (1) The public officer of the association must establish and
    maintain a register of members of the association specifying the
    name, and address(es) of each person, organisation or group who is a
    member of the association together with the date on which the
    person, organisation or group became a member.

    (2) The register of members must be kept at the principal place of
    administration of the association and must be open for inspection,
    free of charge, by any member of the association at any reasonable
    hour.

That by no means requires you to make it available freely on the web of
course, but does mean that you will need to have it somewhere, and
should probably warn members that their name and address will be
available to any other member on request.

-Mary