[Linux-aus] Choosing the LCA '07 host city

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Fri Dec 16 13:41:02 UTC 2005

<quote who="Jeff Waugh">

> <quote who="Andrew Cowie">
>
> > General discussion is welcome on the linux-aus mailing list until 30
> > November. After that, if we still have more than one candidate, I'll get
> > the teams talking together to see if they can, as has been our tradition,
> > decide amongst themselves who is best prepared to host Linux.Conf.Au 2007.
>
> So,
>
> We're beyond November 30, we haven't seen public submission of Melbourne's
> pitch (which makes general discussion before November 30 quite difficult),
> and Sydney is still very much in the game. If this pregnant pause continues
> through the silly season, we won't have much time to prepare for January's
> festivities.
>
> What's the status? :-)

So,

The only response to this seemed to be the submission of the Melbourne pitch
to the public mailing list. But no actual discussion of the proposals or any
response from the committee.

Given the dearth of commentary, I encourage *everyone* to make their opinion
heard, especially those who've actually *been* to a linux.conf.au. ;-)

I'll start, as heavily biased as I am: I believe the Sydney team is hungrier
to host the event, thus more excited about it and better prepared. We have a
fully sponsored and supportive venue. We have verbal support from potential
sponsors. We have a *vision* for linux.conf.au beyond the basics. We want to
get this bit over with so we can prepare our propaganda for Dunedin and get
cracking on the details!

Thanks,

- Jeff

--