[Linux-aus] Wrong medium, wrong market

Paul Coldrey paul at ensigma.com.au
Mon Dec 12 07:33:02 UTC 2005

Janet Hawtin Wrote:

> imho
> Yup I think achieving things which are newsworthy and documenting them
> and telling folks about that is a better angle than direct advertising.
> Feels more tangible and authentic than seeing promotion as an end in
> itself.

I think this is the answer. Every month or two some journalist who has
heard of Open Source decides to write an article in a major paper or
magazine. A couple of years ago these articles tended to be completely
uninformed shite. Nowadays they seem to be becoming ever-so-slightly
more informed version of shite. If we could find a way to get a few more
of the salient advantages of Linux / Open Source into these articles
(hopefully at the expense of some reworded M$ marketing drivel) then I
think it would reach a much larger audience and be far more compelling
that late night TV advertising. Plus it would be free which fits in with
the LA marketing budget :-)

Cheers,

    Paul.