[Linux-aus] Wrong medium, wrong market

Janet Hawtin lucychilli at adam.com.au
Sat Dec 10 21:29:02 UTC 2005

James Purser wrote:

> Okay first things first, I agree that tv advertising for an event like
> LCA is pretty stupid and a waste of money, time and effort. However the
> other side of the coin is Software Freedom Day, an event aimed at
> introducing both Linux and the FOSS philosophy to the general public.
> Both of the previous events are supported by LA.

imho
Yup I think achieving things which are newsworthy and documenting them
and telling folks about that is a better angle than direct advertising.
Feels more tangible and authentic than seeing promotion as an end in
itself.
Keep aiming to provide good content to the journalists who have been
looking for open source info, people and news, and to others who may
just need a chunk of content. The Linux community member of the year is
nice content for example, lists of epople doing things and appreciated
by others. Local papers could be interested if there are nominees in
their local area and for which projects theyve been nominated?

Cheers

Janet