[Linux-aus] "start anything you like" type commercials on telly?

Andrew Donnellan ajdlinux at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 14:43:02 UTC 2005

On 12/10/05, skribe <skribe at amber.com.au> wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 13:44, Andrew Donnellan wrote:
>
> > what exactly is community TV?
>
> Channel 31.  Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide and Brisbane all have them.  Sydney
> used to but there are allegedly problems with funding/politics.  I've only
> heard unconfirmed rumours.  Melbourne's 31 is the one where Rove got his
> start, but don't blame them for that - they're apparently quite good =).
>
> > What I think:
> >  - we *need* an event based approach because we aren't advertising a
> > product (read: distro)
> >  - has to be an FTA (free to air) TV station
> >  - Australia has 20 million people, NSW has 6 million of them, VIC has
> > 5 million. We have to reach in a numbers-appropriate way.
> >  - has to be a good time - not evening prime time, but maybe morning
> > show, e.g. sunrise (7) or Today (9)
> >  - we'll need 2-3 exposures at least
> >  - have to come up with a message - why Linux over Windoze?
>
> Then be prepared to spend $10,000+.  Remember you need to make a broadcast
> quality ad first. 2-3 exposures are unlikely to bring enough of a return to

What return? We're a non-profit, remember?

> cover that sort of expense.  If you're targeting morning shows then you'll
> most likely miss the majority of the 18-25yo demographic, which I would have
> thought would be the main target.  YMMV.
>
> As has been suggested by others a good marketing plan based on solid market
> research  with specific targeted goals is the only way to go.  Otherwise
> you're falling into a familiar trap that because TV is widely viewed (not to
> mention 'sexy') it's the best place to advertise. There may be better valued
> ways of reaching your desired audience.  Only a good marketing plan will
> reveal that.

This was precisely what I was expecting. Maybe the press ctte or
advocacy could set up a wiki for this. This is my look at the issues:

 - do we need a TV ad?
     - or a marketing plan first?
     - target audience
     - timeslots
          - primetime is too expensive
          - morning - could miss the main demographic
 - Community TV - gets four capitals but not sydney, the territories
or any regional or rural area (out where I live/Port Macquarie is
'fairly' regional)
 - making the ad:
     - would need cameras and equpment from the TV station
     - need actors or photos etc. sources
     - we have the software. Jahshaka, Lives, cinepaint, cinelerra,
blender etc. is enough for admaking
     - just get volunteers to do it
 - costs - many thousands, mainly in airing costs

andrew

--
This space for rent. Enquire within. Terms and conditions apply. See
store for details.