[Linux-aus] "start anything you like" type commercials on telly?

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Sat Dec 10 07:33:02 UTC 2005

James,

> On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 09:43 +1100, Donna Benjamin wrote:
> > Whilst it is a great idea, TV advertising is Big Bucks and requires
> > careful planning. Without a specific campaign strategy based on
> > relevant market research it would be a waste of money.
> >
> > On the other hand - creating a 15-30 second spot, and attempting to
> > get it aired as a community announcement, is probably a more
> > realistic goal for an organisation like Linux Australia.
> >
> > An event based promotion such as Software Freedom Day could be a
> > good candidate IMO.  Think of "Clean Up Australia Day".
>
> Well seeing as I work at a TV station, I'll find out what the
> requirements are for community announcements

If it's a commercial TV station then my guess would be one or both of
the following:

 1. Money but not as much as for commercially backed commercials
 2. Some type of associative kickback for the station (eg, promotion)

If the station thinks your cause is good enough to warrant association
without (1), then they might do it for nothing. These causes, however,
tend to be the causes that gets every up in arms (eg, Cleanup Australia)
or involve children (errk) or where people are dying (eg, Cancer) or are
disabled (eg, Multiple Sclerosis).

I'm a cynic about commercial TV; their job is to provide an audience for
their paying advertisers. The AUDIENCE isn't their customers - it's the
ADVERTISERS :(

DSL