[committee] [Linux-aus] Grant request

Davyd Madeley davyd at madeley.id.au
Mon Aug 15 10:22:04 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-14 at 18:26 -0700, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> Sure. There's a lot of work going into tinderbox stuff at the moment, and
> we're really hanging out for the opportunity to use some of the exceptional
> tools Sun are shipping with Solaris 10 (dtrace being the most obvious). More
> power for the UCC machine would allow us to do more regular builds, increase
> automated testing coverage (I'm really looking forward to this) and let more
> developers have CPU time for testing.
>
> I would like to know if UCC will be able to provide access to developers
> working on other projects - I think that will be awesome for Aussie FOSS
> hackers. :-)

Without making up UCC policy on the fly:

Pending all rules pertaining to Aarnet network policy and realising that
the UCC's access to the internet is, for want of a better word, shit
(with only 20% of the world considered free traffic, the rest of which
we foot the bill for). I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to have
developer accounts available on manbo.

I can talk it over with the rest of the committee. I'm sure we can set
something up.

> (Davyd, have you thought of asking Sun if they're interested in sponsoring
> this? They may have some refurbished hardware handy to donate.)

Jeff, as we have just discussed, if you want to approach Sun from LA or
GNOME, on behalf of the UCC, that would be fine. You seem to have
contacts there.

Kind Regards,
--davyd

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA