[Linux-aus] Grant request

Ian Wienand ianw at gelato.unsw.edu.au
Mon Aug 15 10:04:04 UTC 2005

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 01:43:57AM +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> The UCC is tinderboxing on a powerful, multicpu machine named manbo [3].
> While it is powered by Solaris, we hope to use new tools available in
> Solaris to generate automated testing information to help make GNOME
> more stable and perform better clock for clock.

I don't want to start a pointless flame war, but in my opinion this
really sounds like something that Sun should be supporting, rather
than Linux Australia.  Sun's Java Desktop is based on Gnome, IIRC, so
they have a vested interest in having it work.  If they want to show
off OpenSolaris and DTrace (I mean god knows they can talk about it)
then why don't they throw a few of those new cheap developer boxes at
you?

On the other hand, I realise that it's not always easy to get vendors
to buy into this sort of thing (HP if you're listening we'd love a
dedicated build box for kernel regression testing ;)

-i