[Linux-aus] Re: LCA, eh

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Fri Apr 29 16:56:03 UTC 2005

Michael,

>linux.conf.au is what it is partially because of it's size.  Growing the
>conference will turn it into LinuxWorld, and that is something that we may
>not *want* to do.  Why does linux.conf.au attract some of the best
>speakers on the planet?  Because it is a relaxed, low pressure, high clue
>factor, low fanboy conference.  Double the conference size and that will
>change.

Double the conference size and the conference size will be twice what it
is in the year 2005....it's maths and that is all that it is.

>Let's not be obsessed with size shall we?  How about we just run a damn
>good conference?

On the other hand, putting it bluntly, size doesn't always matter. It's
what one does with it. If Linux Australia is willing to believe that a
bunch of people from Adelaide, Canberra or Dunedin can run a
Linux.Conf.Au successfully - which the first two have and the latter has
no obvious reason to not achieve the same result - then why don't we
have the confidence we can't manage a large conference just as successfully?

I just put that thought in for you to think about. We *are* obsessed
with size. The current Linux Australia committee seems to like things
small. Big things don't hurt as much as you think - it's a mindset
thing...trust me on that one.

>If profit is your motive, go ahead.  I'd prefer to have a cool conference
>instead.

I think the increasing size of Linux conferences (in general) is
inevitable. If Linux increases its market saturation, then clearly there
are more people who might want to go to Linux conferences. And this will
include developer conferences, because the more people using Linux, the
more developers there's going to be.

So, why don't we stop this "OMG, it's only 600 -ever-" and work out what
we could do, NOT NOW, with say "1000 competent developers in one
geographical location at a time who want to listen to the world's best
on how they can develop Linux". Think outside the square...we're
Australian. We're New Zealanders. We don't have to turn a LARGE
Linux.Conf.Au into a Linux World. It's ours - and we get to set the
agenda...

And the agenda, I hope, will get bigger...

DSL