[Linux-aus] [LACTTE] Linux Grant Scheme proposal - Darwin Linux Users Group

anthony hornby ahornby at darlug.org
Tue Apr 5 21:08:01 UTC 2005

Hi Johnathon,
Thanks for the interest :-)

The server expansion will provide much better access to FOSS for
students and staff ( and their friends, family etc ) as we have a lot of
CD and DVD burners across campus. At the same time these computers are
not available for public use  so we thought a couple of kiosks would be
a way we could provide them with access as well. We thought it important
to not exclude the general public from access.

Many areas in Darwin still can't get broadband access and providing
access to stuff we mostly already download anyway seemed like a nice
thing to be able to do for the general community which would help
promote linux and FOSS to those people without the access via broadband
or who might be unable to afford the costs.If we keep the technologies
employed simple it shouldn't be too much work to get the kiosks set up.

Regards Anthony.

anthony hornby <ahornby at darlug.org>