[Linux-aus] Re: [Announce] Thank your contributor

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Mon Sep 20 12:44:02 UTC 2004

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:21, Pia Smith wrote:
> With the website update, the Australian Contributors page is now much
> easier to find. We had a request to add Neil Brown to it recently,
> which is done. All future requests should go via
> linux-aus at linux.org.au please

> This is a good opportunity to either:

Fix the page title ("About Linux Australia").

> a) put forward recommendations for Australian Contributors that
> should go be recognised for their sterling efforts, or

Bernard Blackham, currently El Presidente of PLUG and contributor to
Speex, XChat and numerous other projects - Google shows 10 pages for
his email address - but just for practice I'll obfuscate it here:
bernard commercialatsign blackham period com period au. Bernard was
also a big contributor for LCA2003.

Tony Breeds-Taurima, now a Canberrian, put a lot of work into both PLUG
(hosting, lists, hosting an installfest and other stuff including being
Pres for a year) and LCA2003 (and got thanks for his efforts in LCA2004
too, and appears to have been roped into LCA2005!). He is also a kernel
contributor under tony commercialatsign bakeyournoodle fullstop com.

James Bromberger, currently in England, was fearless leader of and
easily put most of the work into LCA2003 as well as doing lots of key
stuff like loaning his video camera and doing mucho directing and
editing on the promo. He's james commercialatsign rcpt period to.

Nick Bannon is another PLUG (and SLPWA) officeholder who's put a lot of
effort into Linux and FOSS work in australia, including LCA2003,
WAFreeNet and other wireless, Debian, BIND, endless list follows.

All four of the above have accurately provided answers, direct help and
othereise probably introduced well over 100 people to Linux personally
between them, and/or provided solutions that kept people using it, and
every single one of them has contributed to FOSS projects.

Then there's your own conscience and sounding-board Jeff, GNOME
contributor, agent provocateur and so forth; and Anand Kumria needs to
go up there for his years of service and contribution. I'd be tempted
to nominate Gavine Tweedie for service-to-industry even though he's not
specifically a FOSS advocate. And there's a couple of Smiths missing
from it. Con Zymaris for founding OSIA basically single-handedly.

Jeremy Malcolm for extensive legal assistance to FOSS and those curious
about it, endless weeks editing up and presenting info, Presidency of
SLPWA, yadda yadda.

Jacqueline (and in a less visible way Harry) McNally for an enormous
amount of work in promoting FOSS (including OpenOffice marketing),
committeeing assorted organisations, Computer Angels - I don't even
know how *many* organisations this pair support between them, but
suspect that "dozens" would be understating it.

> b) update the information of contributors that are currently on the
> page and way out of date.

I think Gary Allpike's address on that page is obsolete, but I'm not
sure he would necessarily want a public listing of it updated (ask him,
and the LA archives for at least March 2004 are public and unobfuscated
as at now, the only public mention of it I can find). He was also an
orignal cofounder of PLUG and arranged hosting of the domain and
website at AceOnLine (who also host LA, thanks guys!) for some
considerable time. He is now gary commercialatsign allpikes period com
period au.

> Thank your hacker, your favourite maintainer, a Linux advocate, a
> rocking Australian software project, your mum. It is a good way to
> recognise and in a way thank these awesome Aussies for their efforts
> and contributions both to Linux and the Australian Linux community.

<look of despair> Hnyaa, where do I start? (-:

More importantly, who have I forgotten, even in WestOz? Plenty, I'm
sure. Let's ask the PLUG list.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Vice President, Perth Linux User Group
http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia