[Linux-aus] Fwd: Microsoft to take direct shots at Linux rivals

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Fri Sep 17 08:48:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 09:00:20AM +1000, Chris Debenham wrote:
> Am I the only one that thinks this withdrawal from attacking Linux in
> general to attacking particular companies my be the in order that they
> can move into the linux distro market at a later time without shooting
> their own feet?
> That way they can bring out MS Linux(tm) later and say that linux was
> never the problem, it was the apps/other distros?

nope. Extremely unlikely.

By shifting focus to attacking IBM and Red Hat, they can hope to land some
punches. It's hard to punch the nebulous 'plasma' which is the Linux
community.

Their standard attack vectors will go something like this:

1) Red Hat used to be free. Now that they have you hooked, they've spiked
   the prices skywards.

2) Red Hat Linux now costs _much_ more than Windows. So much for low cost.

3) IBM will use Linux to try and lock you into its expensive hardware
   products and services universe.

For these reasons, you're best bet is to stick with Microsoft.

etc.

The Linux vendors need to do a better job at countering these sucker-punch
points.

Con Zymaris <conz at cyber.com.au> Level 4, 10 Queen St, Melbourne, Australia
Web: http://www.cyber.com.au/  Phone: 03 9621 2377   Fax: 03 9621 2477