[Linux-aus] Fwd: Microsoft to take direct shots at Linux rivals

Chris Debenham Chris.Debenham at Sun.COM
Fri Sep 17 07:01:01 UTC 2004

Am I the only one that thinks this withdrawal from attacking Linux in
general to attacking particular companies my be the in order that they
can move into the linux distro market at a later time without shooting
their own feet?
That way they can bring out MS Linux(tm) later and say that linux was
never the problem, it was the apps/other distros?

Chris

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 04:26:11PM +1000, Arjen Lentz wrote in a legally binding way:
> Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:26:11 +1000
> From: Arjen Lentz <arjen at mysql.com>
> To: osia-discuss <osia-discuss at lists.osia.net.au>
> Cc: Linux Australia <linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au>
> Subject: [Linux-aus] Fwd: Microsoft to take direct shots at Linux rivals
>
> [Good analysis of Microsoft's tactics vis-a-vis open source.
>  Read it and take note.]
>

> Microsoft to take direct shots at Linux rivals
> Published: September 15, 2004, 5:45 PM PDT
> By Stephen Shankland
> Staff Writer, CNET News.com
>
> http://news.com.com/Microsoft+to+take+direct+shots+at+Linux+rivals/2100-1016_3-5368450.html
>
> Microsoft is refining its "Get the Facts" Linux attack, taking specific
> aim at Red Hat, Novell and IBM rather than the broader movement around
> the open-source operating system.
>
> The new phase tactic is based on the fact that the vast majority of
> Linux users buy their software from a company rather than downloading
> and assembling freely available products on their own, Martin Taylor,
> general manager of Microsoft's platform strategy, said in an interview
> Wednesday. For the effort, Microsoft will compare its own products with
> those of its competitors--for example, Red Hat's application server
> software for running Java software.
>
> "It's less about Linux and more about Red Hat, Novell and IBM," Taylor
> said.
>
> Taylor is Microsoft's top executive in charge of responding to the Linux
> and open-source threat, which in many cases has displaced Microsoft as
> the assumed heir to the Unix throne. The cooperative programming model,
> with freely shared intellectual property, flies in the face of
> Microsoft's proprietary approach, which closely guards source code.
> Taylor's methods include funding analyst firm studies, launching a "Get
> the Facts" advertising campaign and discouraging Microsoft executives
> from making any more inflammatory comments that open-source software is
> a "cancer" or "un-American." Taylor meets with customers worldwide and
> has begun expanding the Microsoft attack to Europe.
>
> Taylor said he expects that targeting Linux sellers such as Red Hat and
> Novell will be persuasive to software customers. However, he said
> Microsoft recognizes that it will have to use different tactics for
> capturing the interest of students and programmers, where the
> philosophical appeal of open-source software can rival pragmatic
> considerations.
>
> "We've got to figure out the coolness factor a little bit," Taylor said
> of Microsoft's efforts to build student involvement. So far, Microsoft's
> response has been to try to shape curriculum and engage student interest
> with programming contests such as Imagine Cup.
>
> Being "first to cool" is an official corporate priority, along with
> being first to market and first to make a lot of money, according to a
> July speech by Chief Executive Steve Ballmer.
>
> Microsoft is also gathering ammunition by working to dispel its own
> [...]

If Money Can't Buy Happiness, I Guess You'll Just Have To Rent It.