[Linux-aus] Gotta love some of the figures from this article

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Sat Oct 9 22:38:02 UTC 2004

    http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/10/05/1340248

Jason Macer never really cared what operating system was running on his
servers when the Dallas area businessman's Web hosting resale business peaked
with 26 servers last March. But Macer found out that lots of folks did care,
and were leaving him because of it. It was not Windows that was the problem,
it was SCO. Macer's hosting vendor, EV1 Servers.net, had signed on for SCO's
Linux user license. Macer's customers reacted by seeking hosting elsewhere,
cutting his business down to just two servers.

[...]

The response to a business that pledges dedication to open source through
dedicated servers, Macer said, was greater than expected. Macer originally
planned to have 2,000 to 3,000 servers available, but he has bumped the
number up to more than 15,000 servers -- including half and quarter virtual
servers -- because of the overwhelming response from customers who are open
source advocates.

"Within three to four weeks, we had 16,000 people signed up for dedicated
servers," Spencer said. "Demand was larger than we thought."

Cheers; Leon