[Linux-aus] NSW Tender meeting

Pia Smith pia at linux.org.au
Thu Oct 7 04:06:02 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I was thinking that it would be a good idea to have an open discussion
about this tender. I know a few people have already been taling about
it. All that has come out thus far is essentially a call to participate,
referencing what skillsets the government are looking for, and trying to
put together a panel of who would be appropriate. It might be a good
time to get together, look at all the requirements and put together a
matrix of skills in NSW. We already have a few directories online:

www.osia.net.au
www.linux.org.au/ausvendors.php
www.auug.org.au/directory/

but it would be useful to see exactly who can do what, to what capacity
and so forth. As far as I'm concerned this is a really big pie, and many
slices to go around :) We should try to find out where any gaps are as a
community of skills and expertise, so we can ensure as a solution open
source is quite covered by experts according to the governments need.

A local meeting for those interested would be good, as well as online
discussion. I think Bruce Badger was able to secure a room at the ACS
building in Sydney for Thursday 2pm next week. Anyone interested is
welcome to come along. I'm sure he'll post a follow up with the address
:)

This is a great opportunity for open source, and for the Australia open
source community. Rock on Australia!

Cheers all,
Pia
--